A true plantsman’s garden of about 5ha nurtured since 1950 by the owners, Cicely Hall and her son Robin Hall, this garden has a reputation for being one of the finest of its type with one of its best collections of plants in Ireland, excluding trees and shrubs. It is reached through a beech avenue with a small but growing arboretum on one side and has an excellent collection of snowdrops, including its own variety, so consequently is best visited in February. In mid-summer, the visitor is rewarded again with luxuriant herbaceous borders. Irises, lilies and lobelias feature strongly.
Primrose Hill house is a regency villa attributed to the architect, James Gandon. Eamon de Valera and his political constitution adviser, Dr. Irwin were frequent visitors to the house in the 1920s and 1930s. The house and grounds were part of the Lucan House Demesne. Four generations of gardeners in the same family have tended and developed the garden at Primrose Hill with some plants there being in the family for over 100 years.
Photos from Norah Kelso
Photos from Mike McKillen