Trip to Bull Island UNESCO Biosphere Nature Reserve on Wednesday 12 October
Our TRA trip will be led by our birdwatcher colleague in Dept. of Physiology, Aidan Kelly. Aidan brought us to the Booterstown marsh just before COVID19 struck. While there we saw a kingfisher.
This time we hope to see waders and wildfowl, in particular. Many of the Brent geese will be arriving soon from their summer breeding grounds in the Canadian Arctic, reaching here via Greenland. The geese are a familiar sight over College Park just after dawn on winter mornings with their echelon flying formation and loud honking!
Bull Island is man-made. It was created 200 years ago when the North Bull Wall was constructed. It continues to grow seaward, a rare natural occurrence in Ireland. It is now 5 km in length and 1 km wide; and covers an area nearly 15 km² in size, including both land and seashore.
In the 1930’s Bull Island became the country’s first official bird sanctuary and in 1981 it achieved UNESCO Biosphere Reserve status.
The causeway to the Island was built in 1962 to 1964 as more people started arriving by car. Earlier, the Howth Tram used to bring Dubliners to Dollymount Strand Beach.
Very few cities in Europe have an important bird sanctuary within the city boundary.
The island is home at various times of the year to 8,000 wild fowl and 26,000 waders, 180 different bird species and 300 species of plants. Alas the native hares seem to have gone from among the dunes.
It is accessible by car, bus and bike. It is wheelchair accessible too. For further information or to book a beach wheel chair please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We meet at the end of Causeway Road – note this is not the ‘wooden-bridge’ access point at Dollymount. The ‘Sculpted Tree’ by the sea marks the junction. There is car parking along the Causeway and bike stands too.
By bike or BleeperActive or Moby E-bike with parking at the turning circle.
By Dublin Bus service 130 alighting at stop #1724 or service 6, alighting at stop 7728.
By DART to Clontarf station then transfer to 130/6 buses.
There are cafés along Clontarf Rd. and at St. Anne’s Park (Olive’s Room at Red Stables).
Limit on Numbers
Not more than 25 to ensure access to field-telescope. Please do bring your own binoculars or ‘scope.
Bookings will close at 11PM on the 10th of October and joining instructions will be sent to those who booked on the 11th of October.