Dear Members
A guided tour of the Dublin Customs House has been organised on October 22nd at 11.00am.
The Dublin Custom House is a neoclassical 18th-century building and is a significant landmark in Ireland. It was designed by James Gandon and completed in 1791. It was a major architectural achievement of its time. It initially served as the headquarters for the Commissioners of Custom and Excise, overseeing the collection of duties on goods imported and exported to Dublin.
The Custom House gained further historical importance during the Irish War of Independence when the Dublin Brigade of the IRA set it on fire and was severely damaged. The attack was aimed at disrupting British rule by destroying tax and local government record. The fire gutted the interior of the building leaving only the shell.
The Irish Free State government later oversaw the restoration and completing it by 1928. A second restoration project began in the 1980s and was completed in time for the building’s bicentenary in 1991.
The Custom House now houses various Irish Government departments, including the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.
Booking will open on October 7th at 9.00am and closes on October 20th at 11.00 pm.

