The Executive Committee invites members to a 2nd guided tour of the Provost’s House. The tour will take place on Thursday May 16th. We will meet at the Coffee Shop in the Arts block at 2.15am, and then proceed as a group to Number 1 Grafton Street where the front gate entrance will be open for us. The tour will commence at 3pm and usually lasts 40 minutes to one hour, and will include the forecourt of the Provost’s House, Portico, Dining Room, Drawing Room and Saloon. The Provost’s house is not yet wheelchair accessible.
This is a members only event.
The Provost’s house, a Palladian mansion, was built in 1759 for the purpose of providing a residence for the Provost of Trinity College Dublin and his family, and has continued to provide this function for over 250 years. The current Provost is the 24th Provost to reside in the house for his term of office. Externally the house is similar to that built by Lord Burlington in London in the 1830s. It is a solid Palladian design with a central Venetian window and doric pilasters. The house possesses one of the most elaborately decorated interiors of its period. Standing to the south of the entrance front of the College, and screened for Grafton Street by stone walls and entrance gates, this is the only grand house in Dublin, with the exception of the Mansion House that is still in its original use.
If you wish to join the tour please book a place below…